Yanagi Japanese Damascus Steel Kitchen Knife 10/14/18cm
- This 37-layered Damascus steel knife is a newly released model of renowned Sori Yanagi kitchen knife series, which is popular for its all-stainless lightweight hygienic body. The blade with ripple-like pattern is individually sharpen and polished by skilled professionals.
- The “37-layered structure” of the body, which is more technically composed of “cobalt alloy steel VG10” in the core and 18-layered forged steel in the surrounding part, will support the core, equalize force transmission and enhance durability such as rust resistance, body strength and blade sharpness.
- The seamless handle and blade will help the knife keep clean. The handle is engineered to fit in a hand and equipped with non-slip grip.
Sori Yanagi was born in Tokyo, Japan in 1915. His father, Soetsu Yanagi started “Mingei (Japanese folk art)” promotion, which valued hand-crafted art of ordinary people and discovered beauty in everyday ordinary objects. Soetsu also helped to establish the Nihon Mingeikan, the Folk Crafts Museum of Japan.
Sori entered Tokyo Art School in 1934, where he studied both art and architecture. He was impressed by Le Corbusier as well as by Charlotte Perriand when she worked in Japan in the early 1940s, and he got more interested in “design and objects” rather than paintings and buildings.
After World War II, Sori designed many kinds of products such as furniture, three-wheeled vehicle, Olympic cauldron, and pedestrian overpass. The water kettle was one of his most famous designs, which included the Butterfly chair in 1954 as well as his porcelain and silverware series.
Nihon Yoshokki Co Ltd was founded in 1955 in Tsubame City, Niigata Prefecture, Japan, which is the center of cutlery and steel manufacturing. It manufactures most of the Sori Yanagi-designed kitchenware and tableware.
- Brand:Sori Yanagi
- Material:Blade: 37-layered Damascus steel (stainless steel composite for blades, Core material: VG10), Handle: 18-8 stainless steel
- Product type:Kitchen Knives
- Country of origin:Japan
- 10cm:Total length: 216 mm (Blade length 100 mm), Item weight (approx): 80 g, Shipping weight (approx): 310 g
- 14cm:Total length: 270 mm (Blade length 140 mm), Item weight (approx): 130 g, Shipping weight (approx): 360 g
- 18cm:Total length: 305 mm (Blade length 180 mm), Item weight (approx): 150 g, Shipping weight (approx): 380 g
Use & Care
- Compatible with dish washers (up to 180℃ heat setting)
10 cm, 14 cm, 18 cm